8/31/10

Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor Reviews


The Ear Force DSS 7.1 channel Dolby surround sound processor transforms any stereo headset into full, immersive surround sound for playing Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 or PC games and watching movies with Blu-ray or DVD players. It works with any set of stereo headphones and is the perfect complement to the Turtle Beach Ear Force series of stereo gaming headsets (X31, X11, XLC, Z1, Z2 and PX21). The optical digital input easily connects to a game console or media player for Dolby 7.1 channel surround sound and the analog input can also be used to upgrade analog stereo audio sources to Dolby Pro Logic IIx for virtual surround sound. A bass boost control adds sub-woofer effects for enhanced realism to any audio source.With the Ear Force DSS, video game and movie fans will be able to hear distinct audio events happening all around them, greatly enhancing the overall experience and rewarding gamers with a newfound competitive edge. DSS users playing games and watching movies on their game consoles will actually hear the 7.1 surround sound from certain 5.1 channel audio tracks via additional “hidden” channels called Dolby EX.

Technical Details

- Dolby 7.1 channel surround sound processor
- Works with any stereo headset or headphones
- Headphone amplifier with variable bass boost
- Digital optical and analog stereo inputs
- Works with XBOX 360, PlayStation 3, PC and Mac


See Top 100 in Video Games

Customer Buzz
4.0 out of 5 stars"Sounds awesome, after you replace the cable and put on headphones that match your tastes" 2010-08-29
By new dx guy (New Jersee)
I bought this because I wanted to be able to play my ps3 via headphones and it was connected via hdmi To my LCD monitor that had crappy 3w speakers and no headphone jack. So I was looking at surround sound headphones and came across this device that was recommended in a forum I saw while researching. It was said to give pretty much the same effect as the gaming surround headphones if not better and I could use my own headphones. So I ordered it since I had two pairs already: one denon w/ 50mm drivers and AKG studio monitoring grade headphones I use for mixing (they are pretty flat).

I hooked it up with the supplied cables. It is powered by USB so it will occupy one port on your xbox or ps3, but it also has a USB port on the unit itself that can be used, so you will not lose a port by having it attached. I tested it out with both headphones and the denons sounded powerful as bassy (they are bassy anyway), while the AKG sound flat as expected and I had to crank the bass switch on the device for the AkG to have mild bass. Overall out the gate it sounded ok and it both cases the overall sound was a bit muddy and the directional positioning was a slight step above what the game sounded like in stereo (the device has a switch to turn 7.1 off and revert to stereo).

WHO SAID ALL FIBER OPTIC CABLE IS THE SAME???

I bought this unit with an AmazonBasic fiber optic cable ($7) because I didn't realize that the ear force came with one. I'm glad I did. While waiting for the ear force to arrive I was directed to article that explained TOSLINK. To make a long story short, the cable matters and this device can be used to prove it! It comes with a very cheap and fragile looking toslink cable. I hooked it up using the provided cable first so I could hear if it made a difference. I also had a monster toslink cable I had purchased a year ago ($about $40) when I bought a surround sound system for my living room. I barely used the cable so pulled it to compare it to the amazon cable when used with the earforce. Well I have to say amazon cable sounded significantly better than the cable provided . Everything sounded more powerful the bass was strong and the directional quueues really stood out. It even sounded good on the AKG's. I then switched to the monster cable and the directional queues sounded even better! I could hear every click and clack of a subway car in the distance and I've played that game a bazillion hours and have never heard it with that clarity or with such positional fidelity. But I definitely feel that the music in the game sounded better with the amazon cable though. Overall the monster cable sounded the best, but the amazon cable was not very far from it. It just was edged out in the directional department by a hair really, so it is a good cable to get to pair with the earforce and it's very affordable.


I know I spent more time talking about headphones, the game and the cable than the product, but that really is the point. The product will do what it is designed to do, just make sure you get a good toslink cable (the amazon cable is very competent) and have good headphones...I would recommend ones with 50mm drivers if you like punch. I'm thinking about getting the jvc's that were recommended because I am also looking for headphones to replace my denons, but did not want to spent too much. The jvc's are about $30-$50 whereas as those denons i bought were $150 at the time.

Definitely would recommend the earforce though. I also tried it on the ps3 with gt prologue and the sound in cockpit when you hit highspeed is crazy. You can reAlly hears the wind shear off the vehicle as you pick up speed. Very immersive. Also, I forgot to mention the gunshots in gta sounded incredible especially the shotgun. Will be trying kilzone 2 tonight...

Customer Buzz 
5.0 out of 5 stars"Product Works as Advertised" 2010-08-07
By J. Goodlow (Montclair, NJ)
I was skeptical of "surround sound" in stereo headphones but I took the plunge and bought this Ear Force DSS 7.1 surround sound processor. It did take a bit of finagling with settings but WOW...once I got that all worked out, it really made a BIG difference in my gaming experience. I heartily recommend this device.

I use this with a pair of Sennheiser PC 166 headphones in a pc that I recently built. It will serve you well to have quality stereo headphones when using the Ear Force DSS. I rarely play my games now without my headphones and this device in place. Thumbs up!

Customer Buzz 
"Ear Force DSS +ATH AD700 = Trittons AX720 sound like stereo" 2010-08-07
By O. R. Rodriguez
Others have reviewed the Ear Force DSS very well, so i will go ahead and just say that i had the AX 720 for almost 4 months and thought they were the best around. Now that i got the Ear Force DSS paired with the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones, those Trittons sound like stereo in comparison.

As for the absence of mic on the AD700, i dont mind because the PS3 can be set up to speak through my Bluetooth and listen through the headphones, so no problem. X360 is another story though, but turtle beach headsets are made for the 360 so the DSS could be a nice accessory for those.
I dont know if it is the headphones or the DSS unit but my BC2 gaming never sounded so good. the DSS delivers on its word, and is fairly priced. It comes with EVERYTHING you need to take full advantage of what it offers. Great surround sound that works with any headphone.

Customer Buzz 
5.0 out of 5 stars"Properly matched headphones, gives amazing results!!!" 2010-08-01
By Fausto Fondeur
First of all, I believe you really need to consider if this is something that you need, considering that a complete home heather might be a better value, and now days, they are not expensive, you will be able to find very good values from many brand name companies.

The reason why I bought this...
I usually work until late at night, and sometimes I feel like playing my video games once I go home, I was using a stereo head phones, they work, however having surround sound really gives a edge on gaming.

There is not really much to explain about this device, it does exactly what the manufacturer states, you plug in you audio fiber cable (toplink), from your video game console or DVD/Blu Ray player, and it will make any stereo headphone you plug into it, act as a 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound system.

It's not the same experience as actually having a real full 7.1 system; however, results were truly impressive.

At first I was using a cheap headphone, they did work, and I was able to properly identify sounds from every direction, however, using a good quality headphone will give you much better results.
As recommended by another review found in Amazon, I bought a JVC HA-RX700, they are an amazing match.
There was an amazing difference from the cheap Sony headphones I was originally using.
Not only I was able to accurately tell were the sound was originating from, but there is so much more detail, the sound of breeze, bullets zipping around me, empty bullet cases falling all over the place, I can tell exactly were the sound is originating from.

Why did I buy this over XXXXX...
The main reason, I can use whatever headphone I want to, from a really cheap one, to the most expensive, I will be able to upgrade my experience independently from the decoder, if I wanted, I could make it a wireless system.
Your decoder is not directly tied to the headphone, this is a +++ for this product.

After using this gadget for a couple of days, I can truly say this is an amazing solution for 3D headphone experience, it really works, specially if you match it with a good pair of headphones.


Customer Buzz 
5.0 out of 5 stars"Surround Sound Goodness" 2010-07-20
By RONIN LEE (California)
Equipment used:
PlayStation® 3
JVC HA-RX700
Bad Company 2

First and foremost - the directional cues are spot on. For instance: If a chopper is flying above me, I can tell which direction it is heading, where it is in relation to my position, and if you have played long enough how close it is to you. Another example is my personal favorite the mortar/arty being called on to your position, you can tell how close the strike is in relation to your position, there have been times I have strikes called on/near me but with the DSS I was able to tell how close without even have to look or run away, same goes for gunfire, sniper fire, footsteps etc etc.

I do have the bass knob turned all the way up, which the JVCs I paired it with handles it very well, there is no distortion in sound the clarity is not drowned out, and the explosions are bass throbbing goodness.

I did watch one movie with this setup but did not get that movie theater experience, to top it off the bass was lacking. But if I did invest in higher end Sennheiser's or Audio-Technica's + a CMOY Amp or another in-line amplifier I am sure I could achieve a better experience.

The only thing I saw a problem with was the optical cable that is supplied with it, I do suggest to find a replacement, I have the PREMIUM Optical Toslink Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector from monoprice and was able to use that with no clearance problems.

Pros:
In-Line Amp
7.1 Support
Bass Boost
Cues are spot on

Con:
Cheap optical cable